What is a wage garnishment?
IF you are not paying your bills, your creditors can sue you for the amount to collect your debts with a wage garnishment. They receive a court order to garnishee your wages. This order directs your employer to make the payments to your creditor from your paycheque.
How do I stop it?
Your first option is to pay off the debt.
You may file for bankruptcy.
You may file a consumer proposal to your creditors.
If your wages have been garnished, read more here or reach out to any of the Personal Bankruptcy Trustees in your area for help.
Wage Garnishment FAQs
- CRA Wage Levy and Creditor Wage Garnishment
- What do do when you recieve a noticy of levy
- Wage Garnishment Articles
Canadian Wage Garnishment Resources
- The Canadian Bar Association
- E-How Canada Wage Garnishment
- Treasury Board of Canada Secratariat - Guidelines for Processing Garnishments